Skip Navigation and go directly to content
Massachusetts General Hospital | Research
Mass General Home
Conditions & Treatments
Centers & Services
Research & Clinical Trials
Education & Training
About Mass General
Facts at a Glance
Overview & History
Maps & Directions
Research Areas of Interest
Patients & Families
Departments, Centers & Programs
Research Areas of Interest
Find a Researcher
Labs and Resources
Find a Researcher
Research Areas of Interest
Invitation to Industry
Core Facilities & Instrumentation
High School & Undergraduate Programs
Find a Doctor
Find a Researcher
Find a Researcher - Profile
Return to Search Results
Jonathan Philip Winickoff, MD, MPH
Edit This Profile
Associate Pediatrician, Massachusetts General Hospital
Associate Professor, Harvard Medical School
Department: Pediatric Service
Division: Primary Care
MGH West Medical Group
40 Second Ave., Ste. 400
Waltham, MA 02451
Research Email: email@example.com
Harvard Medical School**, 1997, MD
Keyword Medical Subject Headings:
Tobacco Smoke Pollution
Publications (Pulled from Harvard Catalyst Profiles):
1. Japuntich SJ, Eilers MA, Shenhav S, Park ER, Winickoff JP, Benowitz NL, Rigotti NA. Secondhand tobacco smoke exposure among hospitalized nonsmokers with coronary heart disease. JAMA Intern Med. 2015 Jan 1; 175(1):133-6.
2. Dempsey J, Regan S, Drehmer JE, Finch S, Hipple B, Klein JD, Murphy S, Nabi-Burza E, Ossip D, Woo H, Winickoff JP. Black versus white differences in rates of addressing parental tobacco use in the pediatric setting. Acad Pediatr. 2015 Jan-Feb; 15(1):47-53.
3. Winickoff JP, Nabi-Burza E, Chang Y, Regan S, Drehmer J, Finch S, Wasserman R, Ossip D, Hipple B, Woo H, Klein J, Rigotti NA. Sustainability of a parental tobacco control intervention in pediatric practice. Pediatrics. 2014 Nov; 134(5):933-41.
4. Liao J, Abdullah AS, Nong G, Huang K, Lin L, Ma Z, Yang L, Zhang Z, Winickoff JP. Secondhand smoke exposure assessment and counseling in the Chinese pediatric setting: a qualitative study. BMC Pediatr. 2014; 14(1):266.
5. Winickoff JP, Hartman L, Chen ML, Gottlieb M, Nabi-Burza E, DiFranza JR. Retail impact of raising tobacco sales age to 21 years. Am J Public Health. 2014 Nov; 104(11):e18-21.
6. Mahabee-Gittens EM, Collins BN, Murphy S, Woo H, Chang Y, Dempsey J, Weiley V, Winickoff JP. The parent-child dyad and risk perceptions among parents who quit smoking. Am J Prev Med. 2014 Nov; 47(5):596-603.
7. Sharifi M, Adams WG, Winickoff JP, Guo J, Reid M, Boynton-Jarrett R. Enhancing the electronic health record to increase counseling and quit-line referral for parents who smoke. Acad Pediatr. 2014 Sep-Oct; 14(5):478-84.
8. Rigotti NA, Park ER, Streck J, Chang Y, Reyen M, McKool K, Winickoff JP. An intervention to address secondhand tobacco smoke exposure among nonsmokers hospitalized with coronary heart disease. Am J Cardiol. 2014 Oct 1; 114(7):1040-5.
9. Wilson KM, Torok M, McMillen R, Tanski S, Klein JD, Winickoff JP. Tobacco smoke incursions in multiunit housing. Am J Public Health. 2014 Aug; 104(8):1445-53.
10. Abdullah AS, Ma Z, Liao J, Huang K, Yang L, Zhang Z, Winickoff JP, Nong GM. Addressing parental smoking in pediatric settings of chinese hospitals: a qualitative study of parents. Biomed Res Int. 2014; 2014:382345.
11. Winickoff JP, Klein JD. Prevention of preterm parturition. N Engl J Med. 2014 May 8; 370(19):1860.
12. Drehmer JE, Ossip DJ, Nabi-Burza E, Rigotti NA, Hipple B, Woo H, Chang Y, Winickoff JP. Thirdhand smoke beliefs of parents. Pediatrics. 2014 Apr; 133(4):e850-6.
13. Blaine K, Rogers J, Winickoff JP, Oppenheimer SC, Timm A, Ozonoff A, Geller AC. Engaging in secondhand smoke reduction discussions with parents of hospitalized pediatric patients: A national survey of pediatric nurses in the United States. Prev Med. 2014 May; 62:83-8.
14. Martins-Green M, Adhami N, Frankos M, Valdez M, Goodwin B, Lyubovitsky J, Dhall S, Garcia M, Egiebor I, Martinez B, Green HW, Havel C, Yu L, Liles S, Matt G, Destaillats H, Sleiman M, Gundel LA, Benowitz N, Jacob P, Hovell M, Winickoff JP, Curras-Collazo M. Cigarette smoke toxins deposited on surfaces: implications for human health. PLoS One. 2014; 9(1):e86391.
15. Winickoff JP, Gottlieb M, Mello MM. Tobacco 21--an idea whose time has come. N Engl J Med. 2014 Jan 23; 370(4):295-7.
16. Nabi-Burza E, Winickoff JP, Finch S, Regan S. Triple tobacco screen: opportunity to help families become smokefree. Am J Prev Med. 2013 Dec; 45(6):728-31.
17. Ossip DJ, Chang Y, Nabi-Burza E, Drehmer J, Finch S, Hipple B, Rigotti NA, Klein JD, Winickoff JP. Strict Smoke-free Home Policies Among Smoking Parents in Pediatric Settings. Acad Pediatr. 2013 Nov-Dec; 13(6):517-23.
18. Joseph A, Spector L, Wickham K, Janis G, Winickoff J, Lindgren B, Murphy S. Biomarker evidence of tobacco smoke exposure in children participating in lead screening. Am J Public Health. 2013 Dec; 103(12):e54-9.
19. Lepore SJ, Winickoff JP, Moughan B, Bryant-Stephens TC, Taylor DR, Fleece D, Davey A, Nair US, Godfrey M, Collins BN. Kids Safe and Smokefree (KiSS): a randomized controlled trial of a multilevel intervention to reduce secondhand tobacco smoke exposure in children. BMC Public Health. 2013; 13:792.
20. Joseph A, Murphy S, Thomas J, Okuyemi KS, Hatsukami D, Wang Q, Briggs A, Doyle B, Winickoff JP. A pilot study of concurrent lead and cotinine screening for childhood tobacco smoke exposure: effect on parental smoking. Am J Health Promot. 2014 May-Jun; 28(5):316-20.
21. Patwardhan P, McMillen R, Winickoff JP. Consumer perceptions of the sale of tobacco products in pharmacies and grocery stores among U.S. adults. BMC Res Notes. 2013; 6:261.
22. Winickoff JP, Nabi-Burza E, Chang Y, Finch S, Regan S, Wasserman R, Ossip D, Woo H, Klein J, Dempsey J, Drehmer J, Hipple B, Weiley V, Murphy S, Rigotti NA. Implementation of a parental tobacco control intervention in pediatric practice. Pediatrics. 2013 Jul; 132(1):109-17.
23. Hipple B, Nabi-Burza E, Hall N, Regan S, Winickoff JP. Distance-based training in two community health centers to address tobacco smoke exposure of children. BMC Pediatr. 2013; 13:56.
24. McMillen RC, Winickoff JP, Wilson K, Tanski S, Klein JD. A dual-frame sampling methodology to address landline replacement in tobacco control research. Tob Control. 2015 Jan; 24(1):7-10.
25. Friebely J, Rigotti NA, Chang Y, Hall N, Weiley V, Dempsey J, Hipple B, Nabi-Burza E, Murphy S, Woo H, Winickoff JP. Parent smoker role conflict and planning to quit smoking: a cross-sectional study. BMC Public Health. 2013; 13:164.
26. Levy DE, Rigotti NA, Winickoff JP. Tobacco smoke exposure in a sample of Boston public housing residents. Am J Prev Med. 2013 Jan; 44(1):63-6.
27. Nabi-Burza E, Regan S, Drehmer J, Ossip D, Rigotti N, Hipple B, Dempsey J, Hall N, Friebely J, Weiley V, Winickoff JP. Parents smoking in their cars with children present. Pediatrics. 2012 Dec; 130(6):e1471-8.
28. Drehmer JE, Ossip DJ, Rigotti NA, Nabi-Burza E, Woo H, Wasserman RC, Chang Y, Winickoff JP. Pediatrician interventions and thirdhand smoke beliefs of parents. Am J Prev Med. 2012 Nov; 43(5):533-6.
29. Avila-Tang E, Elf JL, Cummings KM, Fong GT, Hovell MF, Klein JD, McMillen R, Winickoff JP, Samet JM. Assessing secondhand smoke exposure with reported measures. Tob Control. 2013 May; 22(3):156-63.
30. Winickoff JP, Joseph A. Toward a population free of tobacco smoke exposure. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2012 Sep; 166(9):871-2.
31. Winickoff JP, McMillen R, Klein JD. The Joint Commission's new tobacco-cessation measures. N Engl J Med. 2012 Jun 21; 366(25):2429.
32. McMillen R, Maduka J, Winickoff J. Use of emerging tobacco products in the United States. J Environ Public Health. 2012; 2012:989474.
33. Oreskovic NM, Blossom J, Field AE, Chiang SR, Winickoff JP, Kleinman RE. Combining global positioning system and accelerometer data to determine the locations of physical activity in children. Geospat Health. 2012 May; 6(2):263-72.
34. Abroms LC, Ahuja M, Kodl Y, Thaweethai L, Sims J, Winickoff JP, Windsor RA. Text2Quit: results from a pilot test of a personalized, interactive mobile health smoking cessation program. J Health Commun. 2012; 17 Suppl 1:44-53.
35. Rosen LJ, Noach MB, Winickoff JP, Hovell MF. Parental smoking cessation to protect young children: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Pediatrics. 2012 Jan; 129(1):141-52.
36. Isong IA, Luff D, Perrin JM, Winickoff JP, Ng MW. Parental perspectives of early childhood caries. Clin Pediatr (Phila). 2012 Jan; 51(1):77-85.
37. Levy DE, Winickoff JP, Rigotti NA. School absenteeism among children living with smokers. Pediatrics. 2011 Oct; 128(4):650-6.
38. Hipple B, Lando H, Klein J, Winickoff J. Global teens and tobacco: a review of the globalization of the tobacco epidemic. Curr Probl Pediatr Adolesc Health Care. 2011 Sep; 41(8):216-30.
39. Lessov-Schlaggar CN, Wahlgren DR, Liles S, Ji M, Hughes SC, Winickoff JP, Jones JA, Swan GE, Hovell MF. Sensitivity to secondhand smoke exposure predicts future smoking susceptibility. Pediatrics. 2011 Aug; 128(2):254-62.
40. Rosen LJ, Guttman N, Hovell MF, Noach MB, Winickoff JP, Tchernokovski S, Rosenblum JK, Rubenstein U, Seidmann V, Vardavas CI, Klepeis NE, Zucker DM. Development, design, and conceptual issues of project zero exposure: A program to protect young children from tobacco smoke exposure. BMC Public Health. 2011; 11:508.
41. Matt GE, Quintana PJ, Destaillats H, Gundel LA, Sleiman M, Singer BC, Jacob P, Benowitz N, Winickoff JP, Rehan V, Talbot P, Schick S, Samet J, Wang Y, Hang B, Martins-Green M, Pankow JF, Hovell MF. Thirdhand tobacco smoke: emerging evidence and arguments for a multidisciplinary research agenda. Environ Health Perspect. 2011 Sep; 119(9):1218-26.
42. Levy DE, Rigotti NA, Winickoff JP. Medicaid expenditures for children living with smokers. BMC Health Serv Res. 2011; 11:125.
43. Winickoff JP, McMillen RC, Vallone DM, Pearson JL, Tanski SE, Dempsey JH, Klein JD. US attitudes about banning menthol in cigarettes: results from a nationally representative survey. Am J Public Health. 2011 Jul; 101(7):1234-6.
44. Geller AC, Brooks DR, Woodring B, Oppenheimer S, McCabe M, Rogers J, Timm A, Resnick EA, Winickoff JP. Smoking cessation counseling for parents during child hospitalization: a national survey of pediatric nurses. Public Health Nurs. 2011 Nov-Dec; 28(6):475-84.
45. Winickoff JP, Tanski SE, McMillen RC, Ross KM, Lipstein EA, Hipple BJ, Friebely J, Klein JD. Acceptability of testing children for tobacco-smoke exposure: a national parent survey. Pediatrics. 2011 Apr; 127(4):628-34.
46. Wilson KM, Klein JD, Blumkin AK, Gottlieb M, Winickoff JP. Tobacco-smoke exposure in children who live in multiunit housing. Pediatrics. 2011 Jan; 127(1):85-92.
47. Winickoff JP, Van Cleave J, Oreskovic NM. Tobacco smoke exposure and chronic conditions of childhood. Pediatrics. 2010 Jul; 126(1):e251-2.
48. Winickoff JP, Gottlieb M, Mello MM. Regulation of smoking in public housing. N Engl J Med. 2010 Jun 17; 362(24):2319-25.
49. Winickoff JP, Healey EA, Regan S, Park ER, Cole C, Friebely J, Rigotti NA. Using the postpartum hospital stay to address mothers' and fathers' smoking: the NEWS study. Pediatrics. 2010 Mar; 125(3):518-25.
50. Isong IA, Zuckerman KE, Rao SR, Kuhlthau KA, Winickoff JP, Perrin JM. Association between parents' and children's use of oral health services. Pediatrics. 2010 Mar; 125(3):502-8.
51. Lando HA, Hipple BJ, Muramoto M, Klein JD, Prokhorov AV, Ossip DJ, Winickoff JP. Tobacco is a global paediatric concern. Bull World Health Organ. 2010 Jan; 88(1):2.
52. Witt WP, Kahn R, Fortuna L, Winickoff J, Kuhlthau K, Pirraglia PA, Ferris T. Psychological distress as a barrier to preventive healthcare among U.S. women. J Prim Prev. 2009 Sep; 30(5):531-47.
53. Winickoff JP. Ban smoking in public housing. Newsweek. 2009 Jul 13; 154(2):19.
54. Oreskovic NM, Winickoff JP, Kuhlthau KA, Romm D, Perrin JM. Obesity and the built environment among Massachusetts children. Clin Pediatr (Phila). 2009 Nov; 48(9):904-12.
55. Oreskovic NM, Sawicki GS, Kinane TB, Winickoff JP, Perrin JM. Travel patterns to school among children with asthma. Clin Pediatr (Phila). 2009 Jul; 48(6):632-40.
56. King K, Martynenko M, Bergman MH, Liu YH, Winickoff JP, Weitzman M. Family composition and children's exposure to adult smokers in their homes. Pediatrics. 2009 Apr; 123(4):e559-64.
57. Winickoff JP, Friebely J, Tanski SE, Sherrod C, Matt GE, Hovell MF, McMillen RC. Beliefs about the health effects of "thirdhand" smoke and home smoking bans. Pediatrics. 2009 Jan; 123(1):e74-9.
58. Winickoff JP, Perrin JM. A tribute to Julius B. Richmond, MD. Ambul Pediatr. 2008 Nov-Dec; 8(6):349-50.
59. Winickoff JP, Park ER, Hipple BJ, Berkowitz A, Vieira C, Friebely J, Healey EA, Rigotti NA. Clinical effort against secondhand smoke exposure: development of framework and intervention. Pediatrics. 2008 Aug; 122(2):e363-75.
60. Tyc VL, Hovell MF, Winickoff J. Reducing secondhand smoke exposure among children and adolescents: emerging issues for intervening with medically at-risk youth. J Pediatr Psychol. 2008 Mar; 33(2):145-55.
61. Fisher LB, Winickoff JP, Camargo CA, Colditz GA, Frazier AL. Household smoking restrictions and adolescent smoking. Am J Health Promot. 2007 Sep-Oct; 22(1):15-21.
62. Wellman RJ, Sugarman DB, DiFranza JR, Winickoff JP. The extent to which tobacco marketing and tobacco use in films contribute to children's use of tobacco: a meta-analysis. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2006 Dec; 160(12):1285-96.
63. Best D, Moss DA, Winickoff JP, Simpson L. Ambulatory Pediatric Association policy on tobacco. Ambul Pediatr. 2006 Nov-Dec; 6(6):332-6.
64. Lee KC, Winickoff JP, Kim MK, Campbell EG, Betancourt JR, Park ER, Maina AW, Weissman JS. Resident physicians' use of professional and nonprofessional interpreters: a national survey. JAMA. 2006 Sep 6; 296(9):1050-3.
65. Prokhorov AV, Winickoff JP, Ahluwalia JS, Ossip-Klein D, Tanski S, Lando HA, Moolchan ET, Muramoto M, Klein JD, Weitzman M, Ford KH. Youth tobacco use: a global perspective for child health care clinicians. Pediatrics. 2006 Sep; 118(3):e890-903.
66. DiFranza JR, Wellman RJ, Sargent JD, Weitzman M, Hipple BJ, Winickoff JP. Tobacco promotion and the initiation of tobacco use: assessing the evidence for causality. Pediatrics. 2006 Jun; 117(6):e1237-48.
67. Witt WP, Fortuna L, Wu E, Kahn RS, Winickoff JP, Pirraglia PA, Ferris TG, Kuhlthau K. Children's use of motor vehicle restraints: maternal psychological distress, maternal motor vehicle restraint practices, and sociodemographics. Ambul Pediatr. 2006 May-Jun; 6(3):145-51.
68. Winickoff JP, Tanski SE, McMillen RC, Hipple BJ, Friebely J, Healey EA. A national survey of the acceptability of quitlines to help parents quit smoking. Pediatrics. 2006 Apr; 117(4):e695-700.
69. Hazlehurst B, Sittig DF, Stevens VJ, Smith KS, Hollis JF, Vogt TM, Winickoff JP, Glasgow R, Palen TE, Rigotti NA. Natural language processing in the electronic medical record: assessing clinician adherence to tobacco treatment guidelines. Am J Prev Med. 2005 Dec; 29(5):434-9.
70. Kavanaugh M, McMillen RC, Pascoe JM, Hill Southward L, Winickoff JP, Weitzman M. The co-occurrence of maternal depressive symptoms and smoking in a national survey of mothers. Ambul Pediatr. 2005 Nov-Dec; 5(6):341-8.
71. Conley Thomson C, Siegel M, Winickoff J, Biener L, Rigotti NA. Household smoking bans and adolescents' perceived prevalence of smoking and social acceptability of smoking. Prev Med. 2005 Aug; 41(2):349-56.
72. Weitzman M, Cook S, Auinger P, Florin TA, Daniels S, Nguyen M, Winickoff JP. Tobacco smoke exposure is associated with the metabolic syndrome in adolescents. Circulation. 2005 Aug 9; 112(6):862-9.
73. Park ER, Wolfe TJ, Gokhale M, Winickoff JP, Rigotti NA. Perceived preparedness to provide preventive counseling: reports of graduating primary care residents at academic health centers. J Gen Intern Med. 2005 May; 20(5):386-91.
74. Winickoff JP, Tanski SE, McMillen RC, Klein JD, Rigotti NA, Weitzman M. Child health care clinicians' use of medications to help parents quit smoking: a national parent survey. Pediatrics. 2005 Apr; 115(4):1013-7.
75. Winickoff JP, Berkowitz AB, Brooks K, Tanski SE, Geller A, Thomson C, Lando HA, Curry S, Muramoto M, Prokhorov AV, Best D, Weitzman M, Pbert L. State-of-the-art interventions for office-based parental tobacco control. Pediatrics. 2005 Mar; 115(3):750-60.
76. Thomson CC, Fisher LB, Winickoff JP, Colditz GA, Camargo CA, King C, Frazier AL. State tobacco excise taxes and adolescent smoking behaviors in the United States. J Public Health Manag Pract. 2004 Nov-Dec; 10(6):490-6.
77. Winickoff JP, McMillen RC, Carroll BC, Klein JD, Rigotti NA, Tanski SE, Weitzman M. Addressing parental smoking in pediatrics and family practice: a national survey of parents. Pediatrics. 2003 Nov; 112(5):1146-51.
78. Winickoff JP, Buckley VJ, Palfrey JS, Perrin JM, Rigotti NA. Intervention with parental smokers in an outpatient pediatric clinic using counseling and nicotine replacement. Pediatrics. 2003 Nov; 112(5):1127-33.
79. Winickoff JP, Pbert L, Klein JD, Lando HA, Carroll BC, Mermelstein R, Moolchan ET, Prokhorov AV, Ossip-Klein D. Youth tobacco control research and activities in the United States: the current national landscape. Nicotine Tob Res. 2003 Aug; 5(4):435-54.
80. McMillen RC, Winickoff JP, Klein JD, Weitzman M. US adult attitudes and practices regarding smoking restrictions and child exposure to environmental tobacco smoke: changes in the social climate from 2000-2001. Pediatrics. 2003 Jul; 112(1 Pt 1):e55-60.
81. Pbert L, Moolchan ET, Muramoto M, Winickoff JP, Curry S, Lando H, Ossip-Klein D, Prokhorov AV, DiFranza J, Klein JD. The state of office-based interventions for youth tobacco use. Pediatrics. 2003 Jun; 111(6 Pt 1):e650-60.
82. Tanski SE, Klein JD, Winickoff JP, Auinger P, Weitzman M. Tobacco counseling at well-child and tobacco-influenced illness visits: opportunities for improvement. Pediatrics. 2003 Feb; 111(2):E162-7.
83. Winickoff JP, Hillis VJ, Palfrey JS, Perrin JM, Rigotti NA. A smoking cessation intervention for parents of children who are hospitalized for respiratory illness: the stop tobacco outreach program. Pediatrics. 2003 Jan; 111(1):140-5.
84. Winickoff JP, Hibberd PL, Case B, Sinha P, Rigotti NA. Child hospitalization: an opportunity for parental smoking intervention. Am J Prev Med. 2001 Oct; 21(3):218-20.
85. Winickoff JP, Houck CS, Rothman EL, Bauchner H. Verve and Jolt: deadly new Internet drugs. Pediatrics. 2000 Oct; 106(4):829-30.
86. Kotloff KL, Winickoff JP, Ivanoff B, Clemens JD, Swerdlow DL, Sansonetti PJ, Adak GK, Levine MM. Global burden of Shigella infections: implications for vaccine development and implementation of control strategies. Bull World Health Organ. 1999; 77(8):651-66.
87. Clancy TE, Fiks AG, Gelfand JM, Grayzel DS, Marci CD, McDonough CG, Peppercorn JM, Roberts TG, Smith AL, Winickoff JP. A call for health policy education in the medical school curriculum. JAMA. 1995 Oct 4; 274(13):1084-5.
88. Schwalb JM, Boulis NM, Gu MF, Winickoff J, Jackson PS, Irwin N, Benowitz LI. Two factors secreted by the goldfish optic nerve induce retinal ganglion cells to regenerate axons in culture. J Neurosci. 1995 Aug; 15(8):5514-25.
© 2014 Massachusetts General Hospital
55 Fruit Street, Boston, MA 02114
Maps & Directions
Find us on: