Skip Navigation and go directly to content
Massachusetts General Hospital | Research
Mass General Home
Conditions & Treatments
Centers & Services
Research & Clinical Trials
Education & Training
About Mass General
Facts at a Glance
Overview & History
Maps & Directions
Research Areas of Interest
Patients & Families
Departments, Centers & Programs
Research Areas of Interest
Find a Researcher
Labs and Resources
Find a Researcher
Research Areas of Interest
Invitation to Industry
Core Facilities & Instrumentation
High School & Undergraduate Programs
Find a Doctor
Find a Researcher
Find a Researcher - Profile
Return to Search Results
Hadine Joffe, MD
Edit This Profile
Research Scientist, Massachusetts General Hospital
Associate Professor, Harvard Medical School
Department: Psychiatry Service
Massachusetts General Hospital
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114
Research Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Weill Cornell College of Medicine**, 1994, MD
Additional Research Affiliations
Brigham and Women's Hospital, Psychiatry, Associate Professor, Associate Professor of Psychiatry
Keyword Medical Subject Headings:
Sleep Initiation and Maintenance Disorders
Serotonin Uptake Inhibitors
Publications (Pulled from Harvard Catalyst Profiles):
1. Pinkerton JV, Joffe H, Kazempour K, Mekonnen H, Bhaskar S, Lippman J. Low-dose paroxetine (7.5 mg) improves sleep in women with vasomotor symptoms associated with menopause. Menopause. 2015 Jan; 22(1):50-8.
2. Reed SD, Mitchell CM, Joffe H, Cohen L, Shifren JL, Newton KM, Freeman EW, Larson JC, Manson JE, LaCroix AZ, Guthrie KA. Sexual function in women on estradiol or venlafaxine for hot flushes: a randomized controlled trial. Obstet Gynecol. 2014 Aug; 124(2 Pt 1):233-41.
3. Diem SJ, Joffe H, Larson JC, Tsai JN, Guthrie KA, LaCroix AZ, Ensrud KE, Freeman EW, Leder BZ. Effects of escitalopram on markers of bone turnover: a randomized clinical trial. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2014 Sep; 99(9):E1732-7.
4. Joffe H, Guthrie KA, LaCroix AZ, Reed SD, Ensrud KE, Manson JE, Newton KM, Freeman EW, Anderson GL, Larson JC, Hunt J, Shifren J, Rexrode KM, Caan B, Sternfeld B, Carpenter JS, Cohen L. Low-dose estradiol and the serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor venlafaxine for vasomotor symptoms: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA Intern Med. 2014 Jul 1; 174(7):1058-66.
5. Cohen LS, Joffe H, Guthrie KA, Ensrud KE, Freeman M, Carpenter JS, Learman LA, Newton KM, Reed SD, Manson JE, Sternfeld B, Caan B, Freeman EW, Lacroix AZ, Tinker LF, Booth-Laforce C, Larson JC, Anderson GL. Efficacy of omega-3 for vasomotor symptoms treatment: a randomized controlled trial. Menopause. 2014 Apr; 21(4):347-54.
6. Looby SE, Shifren J, Corless I, Rope A, Pedersen MC, Joffe H, Grinspoon S. Increased hot flash severity and related interference in perimenopausal human immunodeficiency virus-infected women. Menopause. 2014 Apr; 21(4):403-9.
7. Newton KM, Reed SD, Guthrie KA, Sherman KJ, Booth-Laforce C, Caan B, Sternfeld B, Carpenter JS, Learman LA, Freeman EW, Cohen LS, Joffe H, Anderson GL, Larson JC, Hunt JR, Ensrud KE, Lacroix AZ. Efficacy of yoga for vasomotor symptoms: a randomized controlled trial. Menopause. 2014 Apr; 21(4):339-46.
8. Sternfeld B, Guthrie KA, Ensrud KE, Lacroix AZ, Larson JC, Dunn AL, Anderson GL, Seguin RA, Carpenter JS, Newton KM, Reed SD, Freeman EW, Cohen LS, Joffe H, Roberts M, Caan BJ. Efficacy of exercise for menopausal symptoms: a randomized controlled trial. Menopause. 2014 Apr; 21(4):330-8.
9. Sharkey KM, Crawford SL, Kim S, Joffe H. Objective sleep interruption and reproductive hormone dynamics in the menstrual cycle. Sleep Med. 2014 Jun; 15(6):688-93.
10. Newton KM, Carpenter JS, Guthrie KA, Anderson GL, Caan B, Cohen LS, Ensrud KE, Freeman EW, Joffe H, Sternfeld B, Reed SD, Sherman S, Sammel MD, Kroenke K, Larson JC, Lacroix AZ. Methods for the design of vasomotor symptom trials: the Menopausal Strategies: Finding Lasting Answers to Symptoms and Health network. Menopause. 2014 Jan; 21(1):45-58.
11. Joffe H, Crawford S, Economou N, Kim S, Regan S, Hall JE, White D. A gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonist model demonstrates that nocturnal hot flashes interrupt objective sleep. Sleep. 2013; 36(12):1977-85.
12. Reed SD, Guthrie KA, Newton KM, Anderson GL, Booth-Laforce C, Caan B, Carpenter JS, Cohen LS, Dunn AL, Ensrud KE, Freeman EW, Hunt JR, Joffe H, Larson JC, Learman LA, Rothenberg R, Seguin RA, Sherman KJ, Sternfeld BS, Lacroix AZ. Menopausal quality of life: RCT of yoga, exercise, and omega-3 supplements. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2014 Mar; 210(3):244.e1-244.e11.
13. Ajmal A, Joffe H, Nachtigall LB. Psychotropic-induced hyperprolactinemia: a clinical review. Psychosomatics. 2014 Jan-Feb; 55(1):29-36.
14. Su HI, Maas K, Sluss PM, Chang RJ, Hall JE, Joffe H. The Impact of Depot GnRH Agonist on AMH Levels in Healthy Reproductive-Aged Women. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2013 Dec; 98(12):E1961-6.
15. Joffe H, White DP, Crawford SL, McCurnin KE, Economou N, Connors S, Hall JE. Adverse effects of induced hot flashes on objectively recorded and subjectively reported sleep: results of a gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonist experimental protocol. Menopause. 2013 Sep; 20(9):905-14.
16. Freeman MP, Hirschberg AM, Wang B, Petrillo LF, Connors S, Regan S, Joffe H, Cohen LS. Duloxetine for major depressive disorder and daytime and nighttime hot flashes associated with the menopausal transition. Maturitas. 2013 Jun; 75(2):170-4.
17. Harlow BL, MacLehose RF, Smolenski DJ, Soares CN, Otto MW, Joffe H, Cohen LS. Disparate rates of new-onset depression during the menopausal transition in 2 community-based populations: real, or really wrong? Am J Epidemiol. 2013 May 15; 177(10):1148-56.
18. Joffe H, Guthrie KA, Larson J, Cohen LS, Carpenter JS, Lacroix AZ, Freeman EW. Relapse of vasomotor symptoms after discontinuation of the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor escitalopram: results from the menopause strategies: finding lasting answers for symptoms and health research network. Menopause. 2013 Mar; 20(3):261-8.
19. Joffe H. Antidepressant use after discontinuation of hormone therapy: what can one infer about post-hormone therapy depression? Menopause. 2013 Feb; 20(2):123-5.
20. LaCroix AZ, Freeman EW, Larson J, Carpenter JS, Joffe H, Reed SD, Newton KM, Seguin RA, Sternfeld B, Cohen L, Ensrud KE. Effects of escitalopram on menopause-specific quality of life and pain in healthy menopausal women with hot flashes: a randomized controlled trial. Maturitas. 2012 Dec; 73(4):361-8.
21. Bromberger JT, Schott LL, Matthews KA, Kravitz HM, Randolph JF, Harlow S, Crawford S, Green R, Joffe H. Association of past and recent major depression and menstrual characteristics in midlife: Study of Women's Health Across the Nation. Menopause. 2012 Sep; 19(9):959-66.
22. Cyranowski JM, Schott LL, Kravitz HM, Brown C, Thurston RC, Joffe H, Matthews KA, Bromberger JT. Psychosocial features associated with lifetime comorbidity of major depression and anxiety disorders among a community sample of mid-life women: the SWAN mental health study. Depress Anxiety. 2012 Dec; 29(12):1050-7.
23. Ensrud KE, Joffe H, Guthrie KA, Larson JC, Reed SD, Newton KM, Sternfeld B, Lacroix AZ, Landis CA, Woods NF, Freeman EW. Effect of escitalopram on insomnia symptoms and subjective sleep quality in healthy perimenopausal and postmenopausal women with hot flashes: a randomized controlled trial. Menopause. 2012 Aug; 19(8):848-55.
24. Thurston RC, El Khoudary SR, Sutton-Tyrrell K, Crandall CJ, Sternfeld B, Joffe H, Gold EB, Selzer F, Matthews KA. Vasomotor symptoms and insulin resistance in the study of women's health across the nation. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2012 Oct; 97(10):3487-94.
25. Krystal AD, McCall WV, Fava M, Joffe H, Soares CN, Huang H, Grinell T, Zummo J, Spalding W, Marshall R. Eszopiclone treatment for insomnia: effect size comparisons in patients with primary insomnia and insomnia with medical and psychiatric comorbidity. Prim Care Companion CNS Disord. 2012; 14(4).
26. Joffe H, Deckersbach T, Lin NU, Makris N, Skaar TC, Rauch SL, Dougherty DD, Hall JE. Metabolic activity in the insular cortex and hypothalamus predicts hot flashes: an FDG-PET study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2012 Sep; 97(9):3207-15.
27. Tepper PG, Randolph JF, McConnell DS, Crawford SL, El Khoudary SR, Joffe H, Gold EB, Zheng H, Bromberger JT, Sutton-Tyrrell K. Trajectory clustering of estradiol and follicle-stimulating hormone during the menopausal transition among women in the Study of Women's Health across the Nation (SWAN). J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2012 Aug; 97(8):2872-80.
28. Carpenter JS, Newton KM, Sternfeld B, Joffe H, Reed SD, Ensrud KE, Milata JL. Laboratory and ambulatory evaluation of vasomotor symptom monitors from the Menopause Strategies Finding Lasting Answers for Symptoms and Health network. Menopause. 2012 Jun; 19(6):664-71.
29. Gibson CJ, Joffe H, Bromberger JT, Thurston RC, Lewis TT, Khalil N, Matthews KA. Mood symptoms after natural menopause and hysterectomy with and without bilateral oophorectomy among women in midlife. Obstet Gynecol. 2012 May; 119(5):935-41.
30. Joffe H, Chang Y, Dhaliwal S, Hess R, Thurston R, Gold E, Matthews KA, Bromberger JT. Lifetime history of depression and anxiety disorders as a predictor of quality of life in midlife women in the absence of current illness episodes. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2012 May; 69(5):484-92.
31. Carpenter JS, Guthrie KA, Larson JC, Freeman EW, Joffe H, Reed SD, Ensrud KE, LaCroix AZ. Effect of escitalopram on hot flash interference: a randomized, controlled trial. Fertil Steril. 2012 Jun; 97(6):1399-404.e1.
32. Rogines-Velo MP, Heberle AE, Joffe H. Effect of medroxyprogesterone on depressive symptoms in depressed and nondepressed perimenopausal and postmenopausal women after discontinuation of transdermal estradiol therapy. Menopause. 2012 Apr; 19(4):471-5.
33. Thurston RC, El Khoudary SR, Sutton-Tyrrell K, Crandall CJ, Gold EB, Sternfeld B, Joffe H, Selzer F, Matthews KA. Vasomotor symptoms and lipid profiles in women transitioning through menopause. Obstet Gynecol. 2012 Apr; 119(4):753-61.
34. Reed SD, Guthrie KA, Joffe H, Shifren JL, Seguin RA, Freeman EW. Sexual function in nondepressed women using escitalopram for vasomotor symptoms: a randomized controlled trial. Obstet Gynecol. 2012 Mar; 119(3):527-38.
35. Kravitz HM, Joffe H. Sleep during the perimenopause: a SWAN story. Obstet Gynecol Clin North Am. 2011 Sep; 38(3):567-86.
36. Thurston RC, Joffe H. Vasomotor symptoms and menopause: findings from the Study of Women's Health across the Nation. Obstet Gynecol Clin North Am. 2011 Sep; 38(3):489-501.
37. Joffe H, Petrillo LF, Koukopoulos A, Viguera AC, Hirschberg A, Nonacs R, Somley B, Pasciullo E, White DP, Hall JE, Cohen LS. Increased estradiol and improved sleep, but not hot flashes, predict enhanced mood during the menopausal transition. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2011 Jul; 96(7):E1044-54.
38. Freeman MP, Hibbeln JR, Silver M, Hirschberg AM, Wang B, Yule AM, Petrillo LF, Pascuillo E, Economou NI, Joffe H, Cohen LS. Omega-3 fatty acids for major depressive disorder associated with the menopausal transition: a preliminary open trial. Menopause. 2011 Mar; 18(3):279-84.
39. Dias RS, Lafer B, Russo C, Del Debbio A, Nierenberg AA, Sachs GS, Joffe H. Longitudinal follow-up of bipolar disorder in women with premenstrual exacerbation: findings from STEP-BD. Am J Psychiatry. 2011 Apr; 168(4):386-94.
40. Freeman EW, Guthrie KA, Caan B, Sternfeld B, Cohen LS, Joffe H, Carpenter JS, Anderson GL, Larson JC, Ensrud KE, Reed SD, Newton KM, Sherman S, Sammel MD, LaCroix AZ. Efficacy of escitalopram for hot flashes in healthy menopausal women: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 2011 Jan 19; 305(3):267-74.
41. Joffe H, Massler A, Sharkey KM. Evaluation and management of sleep disturbance during the menopause transition. Semin Reprod Med. 2010 Sep; 28(5):404-21.
42. Joffe H, Partridge A, Giobbie-Hurder A, Li X, Habin K, Goss P, Winer E, Garber J. Augmentation of venlafaxine and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors with zolpidem improves sleep and quality of life in breast cancer patients with hot flashes: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Menopause. 2010 Sep-Oct; 17(5):908-16.
43. Greendale GA, Wight RG, Huang MH, Avis N, Gold EB, Joffe H, Seeman T, Vuge M, Karlamangla AS. Menopause-associated symptoms and cognitive performance: results from the study of women's health across the nation. Am J Epidemiol. 2010 Jun 1; 171(11):1214-24.
44. Joffe H, Petrillo L, Viguera A, Koukopoulos A, Silver-Heilman K, Farrell A, Yu G, Silver M, Cohen LS. Eszopiclone improves insomnia and depressive and anxious symptoms in perimenopausal and postmenopausal women with hot flashes: a randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled crossover trial. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2010 Feb; 202(2):171.e1-171.e11.
45. Thurston RC, Sowers MR, Sternfeld B, Gold EB, Bromberger J, Chang Y, Joffe H, Crandall CJ, Waetjen LE, Matthews KA. Gains in body fat and vasomotor symptom reporting over the menopausal transition: the study of women's health across the nation. Am J Epidemiol. 2009 Sep 15; 170(6):766-74.
46. Joffe H, Soares CN, Thurston RC, White DP, Cohen LS, Hall JE. Depression is associated with worse objectively and subjectively measured sleep, but not more frequent awakenings, in women with vasomotor symptoms. Menopause. 2009 Jul-Aug; 16(4):671-9.
47. Harlow BL, Joffe H. Interpreting incidence of hospitalization for postpartum psychotic and bipolar episodes study. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2009 Mar; 66(3):332.
48. Joffe H, Greenfield SF. Introduction: women's mental health: new research findings. Harv Rev Psychiatry. 2009; 17(2):69-71.
49. Payne JL, Palmer JT, Joffe H. A reproductive subtype of depression: conceptualizing models and moving toward etiology. Harv Rev Psychiatry. 2009; 17(2):72-86.
50. Thurston RC, Bromberger JT, Joffe H, Avis NE, Hess R, Crandall CJ, Chang Y, Green R, Matthews KA. Beyond frequency: who is most bothered by vasomotor symptoms? Menopause. 2008 Sep-Oct; 15(5):841-7.
51. Soares CN, Joffe H, Viguera AC, Petrillo L, Rydzewski M, Yehezkel R, Somley B, Cohen LS. Paroxetine versus placebo for women in midlife after hormone therapy discontinuation. Am J Med. 2008 Feb; 121(2):159-162.e1.
52. Joffe H, Hayes FJ. Menstrual cycle dysfunction associated with neurologic and psychiatric disorders: their treatment in adolescents. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2008; 1135:219-29.
53. Gold EB, Lasley B, Crawford SL, McConnell D, Joffe H, Greendale GA. Relation of daily urinary hormone patterns to vasomotor symptoms in a racially/ethnically diverse sample of midlife women: study of women's health across the nation. Reprod Sci. 2007 Dec; 14(8):786-97.
54. Joffe H, Petrillo LF, Viguera AC, Gottshcall H, Soares CN, Hall JE, Cohen LS. Treatment of premenstrual worsening of depression with adjunctive oral contraceptive pills: a preliminary report. J Clin Psychiatry. 2007 Dec; 68(12):1954-62.
55. Joffe H, Soares CN, Petrillo LF, Viguera AC, Somley BL, Koch JK, Cohen LS. Treatment of depression and menopause-related symptoms with the serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor duloxetine. J Clin Psychiatry. 2007 Jun; 68(6):943-50.
56. Harlow BL, Vitonis AF, Sparen P, Cnattingius S, Joffe H, Hultman CM. Incidence of hospitalization for postpartum psychotic and bipolar episodes in women with and without prior prepregnancy or prenatal psychiatric hospitalizations. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2007 Jan; 64(1):42-8.
57. Joffe H. Reproductive biology and psychotropic treatments in premenopausal women with bipolar disorder. J Clin Psychiatry. 2007; 68 Suppl 9:10-5.
58. Soares CN, Joffe H, Rubens R, Caron J, Roth T, Cohen L. Eszopiclone in patients with insomnia during perimenopause and early postmenopause: a randomized controlled trial. Obstet Gynecol. 2006 Dec; 108(6):1402-10.
59. Joffe H, Cohen LS, Suppes T, Hwang CH, Molay F, Adams JM, Sachs GS, Hall JE. Longitudinal follow-up of reproductive and metabolic features of valproate-associated polycystic ovarian syndrome features: A preliminary report. Biol Psychiatry. 2006 Dec 15; 60(12):1378-81.
60. Soares CN, Arsenio H, Joffe H, Bankier B, Cassano P, Petrillo LF, Cohen LS. Escitalopram versus ethinyl estradiol and norethindrone acetate for symptomatic peri- and postmenopausal women: impact on depression, vasomotor symptoms, sleep, and quality of life. Menopause. 2006 Sep-Oct; 13(5):780-6.
61. Kim DR, Joffe H. Use of antidepressants during perimenopause. Womens Health (Lond Engl). 2006 Jul; 2(4):627-37.
62. Thurston RC, Joffe H, Soares CN, Harlow BL. Physical activity and risk of vasomotor symptoms in women with and without a history of depression: results from the Harvard Study of Moods and Cycles. Menopause. 2006 Jul-Aug; 13(4):553-60.
63. Joffe H, Hall JE, Gruber S, Sarmiento IA, Cohen LS, Yurgelun-Todd D, Martin KA. Estrogen therapy selectively enhances prefrontal cognitive processes: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study with functional magnetic resonance imaging in perimenopausal and recently postmenopausal women. Menopause. 2006 May-Jun; 13(3):411-22.
64. Rich-Edwards JW, Kleinman K, Abrams A, Harlow BL, McLaughlin TJ, Joffe H, Gillman MW. Sociodemographic predictors of antenatal and postpartum depressive symptoms among women in a medical group practice. J Epidemiol Community Health. 2006 Mar; 60(3):221-7.
65. Joffe H, Kim DR, Foris JM, Baldassano CF, Gyulai L, Hwang CH, McLaughlin WL, Sachs GS, Thase ME, Harlow BL, Cohen LS. Menstrual dysfunction prior to onset of psychiatric illness is reported more commonly by women with bipolar disorder than by women with unipolar depression and healthy controls. J Clin Psychiatry. 2006 Feb; 67(2):297-304.
66. Joffe H, Cohen LS, Suppes T, McLaughlin WL, Lavori P, Adams JM, Hwang CH, Hall JE, Sachs GS. Valproate is associated with new-onset oligoamenorrhea with hyperandrogenism in women with bipolar disorder. Biol Psychiatry. 2006 Jun 1; 59(11):1078-86.
67. Cohen LS, Soares CN, Joffe H. Diagnosis and management of mood disorders during the menopausal transition. Am J Med. 2005 Dec 19; 118 Suppl 12B:93-7.
68. Baldassano CF, Marangell LB, Gyulai L, Ghaemi SN, Joffe H, Kim DR, Sagduyu K, Truman CJ, Wisniewski SR, Sachs GS, Cohen LS. Gender differences in bipolar disorder: retrospective data from the first 500 STEP-BD participants. Bipolar Disord. 2005 Oct; 7(5):465-70.
69. Soares CN, Joffe H, Steiner M. Menopause and mood. Clin Obstet Gynecol. 2004 Sep; 47(3):576-91.
70. Joffe H, Cohen LS, Harlow BL. Impact of oral contraceptive pill use on premenstrual mood: predictors of improvement and deterioration. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2003 Dec; 189(6):1523-30.
71. Joffe H, Soares CN, Cohen LS. Assessment and treatment of hot flushes and menopausal mood disturbance. Psychiatr Clin North Am. 2003 Sep; 26(3):563-80.
72. Joffe H, Hall JE, Cohen LS, Taylor AE, Baldessarini RJ. A putative relationship between valproic acid and polycystic ovarian syndrome: implications for treatment of women with seizure and bipolar disorders. Harv Rev Psychiatry. 2003 Mar-Apr; 11(2):99-108.
73. Joffe H, Hall JE, Soares CN, Hennen J, Reilly CJ, Carlson K, Cohen LS. Vasomotor symptoms are associated with depression in perimenopausal women seeking primary care. Menopause. 2002 Nov-Dec; 9(6):392-8.
74. Soares CN, Joffe H, Cohen LS, Almeida OP. Efficacy of 17beta-estradiol on depression: is estrogen deficiency really necessary? J Clin Psychiatry. 2002 May; 63(5):451; author reply 451-2.
75. Berger GM, Miller JL, Bonnici F, Joffe HS, Dubovsky DW. Continuous flow plasma exchange in the treatment of homozygous familial hypercholesterolemia. Am J Med. 1978 Aug; 65(2):243-51.
76. GRAIG CJ, FARRELL AG, BOTHA MC, DUTOIT E, HUGO-HAMMAN TB, HEESEHDE V, JOFFE HS. INTRA-UTERINE FOETAL BLOOD TRANSFUSION. S Afr Med J. 1965 Jul 31; 39:630-4.
© 2014 Massachusetts General Hospital
55 Fruit Street, Boston, MA 02114
Maps & Directions
Find us on: